The municipalities in Kromme Rijn Heuvelrug region offer refuge to refugees from Ukraine. They are entitled to a living allowance: a monthly amount for food and drink, clothing and personal care. Anyone who has fled Ukraine to the Netherlands can apply for a living allowance. In the Kromme Rijn Heuvelrug region, the RSD pays out the living allowance on behalf of the municipalities of Bunnik, De Bilt, Utrechtse Heuvelrug, Wijk bij Duurstede and Zeist. Refugees residing in our region can therefore apply for the living allowance from the RSD. Below, you can read more about the living allowance and how you can apply for it. 

Changes to living allowance regulations

On 1 December 2022, and also on 1 April 2023 at the latest, new rules regarding living allowances and shelter will enter into effect. These new rules may affect the amount of your monthly allowance. Please visit this page to read more about the new rules and when they will come into effect.  

Money for food, clothing and personal care

The living allowance is intended for the basic necessities of life: food and drink, clothing and items for personal care. They include soap, nappies and toothbrushes. The exact amount someone will receive depends on the (family) situation and place of residence. It is therefore important to report changes in the situation to the RSD. This can be done with a change form that you will receive when you are awarded the allowance and which is available at our office.

Application documents

Ukrainian refugees who are registered with the municipality can apply for the living allowance. The following documents are required for registration:

  1. A copy of the registration with the municipality;
  2. Social security numbers (BSN) of all family members;
  3. A passport, identity card or certificate from the consulate of all family members (Dutch, Ukrainian or other);
  4. A bank account at a Dutch bank, with a debit card.

Apply for living allowance

The RSD organizes registration sessions at various locations in the region. Ukrainian refugees who are already staying here have received an invitation for this. Others will receive this invitation later from the coordinator of the refugee centre. In the weeks after the registration sessions, they can also apply for the living allowance during a meeting with someone from the RSD.

Schedule of registration sessions
MondayWijk bij Duurstede 

Tuesdag and Thursdag

WednesdayUtrechtse Heuvelrug
(City hall)
FridayDe Bilt

Working in the Netherlands

Refugees from Ukraine are allowed to work in the Netherlands. Since 1 April, they no longer need a special work permit for this. Midden-Utrecht Werkt Door (MUWD) helps to find work in the region. Visit the website(externe link) for more information or contact MUWD at or +31 6 11 14 90 80.

Change in Health Insurance

The Medical Care for Displaced Persons Regulation has been in effect since 1 July 2022. The Dutch government has decided that this regulation also applies to displaced persons who work in the Netherlands and who therefore have an insurance obligation. More information is provided here(externe link) and here(externe link).

Here you can find detailed information in Dutch, English, Ukrainian and Russian. On this site, you can also view frequently asked questions and the answers to these questions.

Change in Tax Regulations

You may be entitled to extra allowance(s). More information on this is provided on the website(externe link) of the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst).

More information

If you have any questions about the living allowance scheme, consult the frequently asked questions on our website. You can also call (+31 (0)30 692 95 00)or e-mail us ( .